Throwback Thursday: The Unloved

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m notorious for pouring hours into making things for myself because they look cool in a magazine, wearing them once, deciding I don’t like them for some reason and then giving them away.

Here are a few of those things:

jumper

Completed: February 2, 2009

Project: Cabled Jumper from the now defunct Knit 1 Magazine.

What Went Wrong: Cute in theory, but so tight you could see the hem of my shirt through it and due to my body shape it would shift up as I walked, bunching around my waistline.

Lessons learned: I learned how to make cables, which is handy. I also learned that just because something looks nice on a model in a magazine doesn’t mean it will look nice on me or be functional.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Completed: November 17, 2009

Project: Flouncy skirt from one of Interweave’s Knit Scene magazines.

What Went Wrong: I wasn’t a big fan of the stripes. Also I followed the pattern without measuring myself first and I didn’t check length along the way so it ended up being too short for me to wear comfortably.

Lessons learned: Steer clear of variegated yarns when it comes to large clothing items unless you really, really like stripes and/or surpises! Don’t bind-off on a skirt until you’re sure you’re comfortable with it’s length.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Completed: February 27, 2011

Project: A crocheted A-line skirt; yet another item from Knit 1 Magazine.

What Went Wrong: The waistband ended up being loose and saggy. I also had no idea what I was doing when I installed the zipper. Out of all of these, this got worn the most, though, (3 times) with tops that covered the waistband issue.

Lessons Learned: Always remember knits stretch and modify patterns to your body size. Also unless you want a lot of frustration and a lumpy zipper, do not attempt to install a zipper on your own if you have no idea what you’re doing! That’s what YouTube is for.

 

New Hat!

I finished my new hat on my commute home yesterday (hooray for public transportation). The pattern was adapted from a pattern in the Fall/Winter 2005 issue of Knit.1 Magazine and I used Lion Brand Homespun Colonial yarn. Rather than use a circular needle this time I used double pointed needles, which made this project so much easier than it’s predecessor (the same hat made on circular needles in a different color) and I’m happier overall with the finished project.

Here’s the old hat:OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

If you look towards the top of the hat you can see that the ribs jog over instead of continuing in a straight line. I made the first hat using circular needles that were small, but apparently too big for that particular project, which made knitting hard since the stitches would get all tight and the needles’ cord would bend in weird ways. I spent so much time and energy just trying to get one stitch from one needle over to the next that I must’ve lost count when I decreased, which caused the rib lag. Not this time though!

Here’s the new hat:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As you can see the ribs don’t jog this time. We’ll see if that’s still true once I’ve worn it and stretched it out a bit, but judging by what it looks like now and what the old hat looked like when I finished it, I don’t think that will change.

Here are a few more shots of the new hat. Of course, today it’s 42 degrees, so I don’t really need to wear a hat, but temps are supposed to dip again this weekend and while I’m not looking forward to that. I am looking forward to wearing my new hat!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA